Monday, May 1, 2017

Florida Surprises

  

The crossing of the border into Georgia did not improve the I-95. In fact it got worse and in more than one spot I saw piles of tire retread debris lining both sides of the road, evidence of the tire shredding road surface. I was one of the lucky one to have slipped into Florida wearing the same tires I had left with. Not everyone was so lucky, it seems...! Once in Florida, the condition of the interstate improved and I could finally relax knowing the camper's axel wasn't going to be shaken off the camper and left on the side of the road. Thank you Florida!

The first surprise, not too unexpected in high season, was the almost complete lack of campsite availability anywhere close to where I had hoped to stay! What a change from just a few years ago when it never occurred to reserve ahead. I simply drove into campgrounds and easily found a place to camp. Those days are gone it seems with everyone seeming to own an RV. I pleaded for help from some Facebook friends and finally one suggested I try Tomoka State Park near Daytona and finally I had a spot for the night. One night... The park turned out to be a gem with nice clean washrooms, good showers and friendly people. 

 
The following day, I discovered that by moving a couple of sites closer to the washroom, I could stay a couple of extra days, so move I did. This resulted in me being next to the couple in the photo above, two Harley enthusiasts who were down from Pennsylvania for Bike Week in Daytona. It was the twentieth anniversary of their previous visit and they were anxious to have a good time revisiting some of the old spots they had been to all those years ago. I loved their vintage bikes which they had trailered down and promptly began riding as soon as they had set up their tent - in the bed of their truck!

That evening they invited me over to their campfire for a few beers and we all had some good laughs together until the rain set in.  Returned to Big Trill, but a while later the Scheller's knocked on the door. My bloody pants - from LL Bean no less - had shed my wallet which they had found in the dirty while dousing their campfire! Thank god! They saved my trip from certain disaster had my wallet gone missing for good. It set off a series of panic attacks throughout the trip whenever my wallet wasn't where I expected it to be.

In the days ahead I biked around the park, checked out the day use areas, the boat launch area, the old shell mounds and the other facilities. Soon it was time to head westward across Florida, but I really enjoyed Tomoka SP and all it had to offer.

No comments:

Post a Comment