Thursday, July 26, 2018

Nova Scotia 2.0



I returned to Nova Scotia in late June of 2018 to meet up with some paddling friends at Cranberry Campground near New Glasgow. One friend and his wife camp there frequently as they live close by, but the other was from Newfoundland, so it was special to see him again and catch up on his life and doings. I stayed a couple of nights there. The second night some friends from home parked their motorhome at Cranberry as well, so we felt like we owned the place!

The following day I headed south, passing Halifax and going down the eastern shore. I stopped at Graves Island near Chester for lunch and would like to camp there some day as it was quite nice. Instead this trip I headed on south to finally turn westward inland to Keji National Park where I had made reservations. I got fooled by the sign indicating a nearby gas station. It never appeared and I arrived at Keji on fumes! I was to discover that signage in Nova Scotia is not that useful and gas stations can be disguised as ice cream stands, so one must be careful!



Keji National Park turned out to be a delightful place with lots of trails, walkways, a nice beach or three and so on. I was there to attend the Mi’kmak solstice festivities which turned out to be interesting. I met a couple of people there, Janice and her friend Kim. Both are friends of the park and Janice and her husband own a Trillium camper much like Big Trill.

Keji has some geocaches, so I went off looking for some of them and found two. I also rolled my oarboard down to the water and went rowing. It was a bit windy, but I enjoyed myself. The showers were hot and clean, so I biked over for a hot one a couple of times during my four day stay.

After my four days were up, It was time to head out, so I steered a course for a gas station in Annapolis Royal and then headed up the Annapolis valley which turned out to be lovely. More about that later...

No comments:

Post a Comment